Sorensen Design Logo
(02) 4984 9955 menu
(02) 4984 9955
Over 20 Years Experience
Residential & Commercial Design
Complying Development Certificates NSW

Complying Development Certificates NSW

Making Complying Development Certificates in NSW easy

Complying Development Certificates (CDCs) are a crucial part of the construction approval process in New South Wales. Before commencing any construction work, obtaining a Complying Development Certificate to verify compliance with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and other relevant legislation is essential.

At Sorensen Design & Planning, we take care of the Construction Certificate (CC), Development Application (DA), and/or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) for you, guaranteeing a smooth, complication-free design and building experience. Learn more here, or contact us for more information about our services.

Why Design With Sorensen Design?

Sorensen Design & Planning is a well-regarded, locally owned and managed firm that provides modern building designs in and around Newcastle, the Hunter Valley, and the Central Coast.

With decades of experience, we can guide you through the CDC process, including preparing all necessary paperwork and liaising with other local professionals like private certifiers.

Contact us for more information about getting a Complying Development Certificate in NSW!

Screenshot 2024 01 11 at 12 30 55 pm

What is a Complying Development Certificate?

A Complying Development Certificate (CDC) is an approval issued by a certifying authority, either the local Council or an accredited private certifier, which confirms that the proposed construction plans and specifications of a development comply with the relevant building codes and standards.

It ensures that the construction work aligns with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) requirements and other relevant regulations.

The Complying Development Certificate process

Obtaining a Complying Development Certificate involves several steps; it starts with submitting the required documentation and ends with issuing the certificate, allowing the commencement of construction work. Here's a breakdown of the assessment process.

Step 1: Verification of Compliance

Before initiating any construction work, verifying that the proposed development complies with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and relevant Australian Standards is essential. This step ensures the construction plans align with the required regulations and standards.

Step 2: Consistency with Development Consent

If the Council has approved your Development Application (DA), the Construction Certificate verifies that the detailed construction plans and reports align with this approval. It confirms that the proposed work is consistent with the development consent previously granted.

Step 3: Pre-construction Requirement

Before starting any building work, it is mandatory to obtain a Construction Certificate. This ensures all construction activities are carried out according to the approved plans and relevant standards. Failure to obtain a Construction Certificate before commencing construction is illegal in NSW.

Step 4: Issuance of the Construction Certificate

The Construction Certificate is typically issued by a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA), the local Council or an accredited private certifier. The application for the certificate is submitted through the NSW Planning Portal and undergoes assessment and inspection by the PCA. Once the certificate is issued, construction work can commence.

FAQs about the Complying Development Certificate process

  • What is a Complying Development vs an Exempt Development?

    Exempt development refers to low-impact work that can be done without a development application. These minor building works, like installing a small garden shed or repairing a fence, do not require a full assessment by the council and can be completed more quickly and with less cost.

    Complying developments generally encompass larger building works than exempt developments.

  • What are the requirements for obtaining a CDC?

    Requirements include compliance with relevant state and local planning rules, such as building codes, environmental regulations, and specific criteria in the State Environmental Planning Policies.

  • Do I need a CDC for a renovation project?

    If you are making major structural changes to your home (e.g. removing walls or making structural changes to the home's exterior), you may need to submit a DA and achieve a CDC before starting work. The local council or private certifier will consider the project's construction requirements and determine if you have development approval.

  • How long is a CDC valid?

    Complying development approval typically remains valid for five years from the approval date, allowing construction to commence within this period.

  • Is community consultation required for a CDC?

    Unlike a Development Application, a CDC does not typically require community consultation. However, it's important to inform your neighbours about the proposed development as a courtesy.

  • Can a CDC be issued for heritage-listed properties?

    CDCs are generally not issued for developments on heritage-listed properties or properties within heritage conservation areas, as these typically require a more detailed assessment through a Development Application.

  • Can environmental constraints affect CDC eligibility?

    Environmental constraints like bushfire-prone land, flood-prone areas, or land with high ecological value can affect the eligibility for a CDC or impose additional requirements.

Why choose us?

  • We have been established since 2002 and are multi-award winning building designers and town planners
  • We have just been awarded the 2022 HIA Residential Design Award Winner!
  • We have just recognised as a finalist in the 2022 BDAA National Design Awards in the Multi-Residential Buildings Category, for our Burbong Street Dual Occupancy
  • We have been members of the Building Designers Association of Australia (BDAA) continuously since 2004
  • Our Director Adrian Sorensen is an open accredited chartered building designer with the Building Designers of Australia Association (BDAA), with over 25 years of building design experience
  • We use licensed copies of archicad software, so we can produce high resolution 3D images of your project
  • All of our staff are fully qualified with multiple years of building design and town planning experience
  • We are a dedicated and enthusiastic company that services a wide area. However, we only take on a sufficient amount of clients to provide service of the highest levels
  • We are familiar with all council requirements, lodging your development application (DA) on your behalf, as well as engaging all other sub consultants e.g. structural engineers and surveyors where required
  • Our most recent award proudly is the 2022 HIA Residential Design Award Winner!
  • Winner of numerous other BDAA awards for renovations, new houses, multi-residential design, dual occupancy, alterations and additions, as well as bathrooms, kitchens and interiors
  • We are passionate about what we do!

Get a Free Estimate

Whether you need our design services for a new home, commercial premises or anything else, we can do whatever you require.